Announcement: Immigration Tracker (Beta) Now Live
We're pleased to announce the beta launch of the immigration application tracker. The tool can be used to track the various types of applications you undergo throughout your immigration process and can be edited/updated anytime by the member who created the record in the database.

Let's start making sense out of the UK immigration process. Add your immigration details here and provide us with feedback on how we can make it better.


Welcome back, Guest

Newest Members

Active Users

577 active user(s) currently on the site
5 members, 572 guests, 0 anonymous users

Online Friends

    None of your friends are currently online

- - - - -

Settling in the UK

This section explains how you can apply to settle permanently in the UK if you are a migrant from outside Europe. It also tells you whether you can return to the UK if you have gone to live abroad after being granted settlement here.

Applying for settlement
After you have lived legally in the UK for a certain length of time (usually between two and five years), you may be able to apply for permission to settle here. This is known as 'indefinite leave to remain'.

Your right to apply for settlement will depend on your current immigration category. You should read the section for your category (in Working in the UK, Studying in the UK or Partners and family members) to find out whether and when you can apply for settlement.

Most applicants will need to show that they have a knowledge of language and life in the UK.

The How to apply for settlement section lists the categories of migrant who can apply, and explains which application form to use. You must be in the UK when you apply using one of these application forms. The only migrants who can apply for settled status from outside the UK are certain partners and family members of British citizens and settled persons.

Please do not send us your application more than 28 days before you become eligible to apply. If you do, we may refuse your application with no refund of the application fee. However, you must make your application before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.

If you are already in the UK but you have not been here long enough to apply for settlement, you can apply to extend your temporary permission to stay.

Returning to the UK if you have been living abroad
If you were given permission to settle here but you then decided to live abroad for some time, you may be able to return to the UK as a settled person. The Returning residents page contains more information.

© Crown Copywrite

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are the author's and not necessarily those of or any entity associated with This article is not checked for accuracy by any qualified immigration consultant or solicitor either represented on this site or otherwise. We will not be legally responsible for any statement made in this article. If you're going through the UK immigration process we strongly advise that you appoint a UK immigration consultant or immigration solicitor to deal with your case.


Find us on Facebook

Search Site

Custom Search

Popular Articles

About Us - Contact Us - Copyright - Privacy Policy - TOS - Advertise