#1 Rojjer

Rojjer

• Active Members
  • 128 posts
  • uk

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

hi there guys,
i have just been looking at IPS website,
it says if your parents were born outside of the UK, you will also need to provide grandparents details, such as full name, date of birth, date of marrage, also place where they were born.
I am trying to find those information from everyone in the family before i need them, and no one seems to know the answer, also 3 of my grandparents are no longer with us, do i really have to put those information on the application form? did anyone lefe it blank when applying?
what's your views on this? please help!

#2 JAJ

JAJ

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,248 posts
  • ad

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:39 AM

Give whatever detail you have and explain the rest. If you have a registration/naturalisation certificate, your citizenship claim does not rest on grandparents anyway.

#3 judy7007

judy7007

• Active Members
  • 96 posts
  • gb

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

hi there guys,
it says if your parents were born outside of the UK, you will also need to provide grandparents details, such as full name, date of birth, date of marrage, also place where they were born.
I am trying to find those information from everyone in the family before i need them, and no one seems to know the answer, also 3 of my grandparents are no longer with us, do i really have to put those information on the application form? did anyone lefe it blank when applying?

Hi there

I really cannot imagine why this question is at all relevant if citizenship does not relate in any way to where grandparents were born, eg, a passport applicant has been granted citizenship at a ceremony in UK.

At first I thought it was just a really badly thought out question. Then it occurred to me it might be for identification purposes at the interview. My husband is 65 so as you can imagine, his grandparents were all born in the late 1800s (in Australia) and married there as well. To be honest I don't think he could remember all the dates even if they did ask him at the interview.

We have managed to get all the information together as we don't want anything at all to hold up the passport application. But I really do wonder what is the thinking behind this question and maybe a redesign of the form is in order if it is only to do with links to eligibility for British citizenship.

I do agree that it is best to try to answer this question to the best of your ability and make explanation for any gaps.

regards
judy

#4 Ivan_UK

Ivan_UK

• Active Members
  • 17 posts
  • uk

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

I would appreciate if somebody could provide a clarification:

I was looking through the passport application form and did not see any sections related to grandparents details. How is that possible? Is there a different type of an application form when applying for the first time?

#5 Rojjer

Rojjer

• Active Members
  • 128 posts
  • uk

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

on the how to fill your passport application form booklet,
On page 13,
section 4, parents details for all first-time customers.
________________________________________________________________________________

#6 alvon

alvon

• Active Members
  • 128 posts
  • gb

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

hi there guys,

Hi there

I really cannot imagine why this question is at all relevant if citizenship does not relate in any way to where grandparents were born, eg, a passport applicant has been granted citizenship at a ceremony in UK.

At first I thought it was just a really badly thought out question. Then it occurred to me it might be for identification purposes at the interview. My husband is 65 so as you can imagine, his grandparents were all born in the late 1800s (in Australia) and married there as well. To be honest I don't think he could remember all the dates even if they did ask him at the interview.

We have managed to get all the information together as we don't want anything at all to hold up the passport application. But I really do wonder what is the thinking behind this question and maybe a redesign of the form is in order if it is only to do with links to eligibility for British citizenship.

I do agree that it is best to try to answer this question to the best of your ability and make explanation for any gaps.

regards
judy

Judy and the rest,

Filling in our forms today also brought this question to my attention.

This part of the form does not make sense - there must be hundreds of thousands of immigrants who have been naturalised with no UK family linkage whatsoever, especially if they have qualified via one of the employment routes.

What I have done is written a covering letter explaining our situation (residential qualification following Ancestral Visa based on my grandfather - my wife and son have no UK history going back to grandparent stage, so the question has no relevance to them). The form is simply confusing and this particular question pointless, in my opinion, for anyone who is naturalised without any UK parentage/grandparents. IPS needs to clarify this - even in the citizenship application forms where parent information is requested it is made clear that the reason for the question is to establish whether or not you have an automatic citizenship qualification (e.g. thorugh a mother, say).

I'll give feedback if there are queries, but I'm sure there must be hundreds on this forum who have received passports without being able to give any details of UK grandparents or parents. Anyone???

Cheers

Edited by alvon, 14 June 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#7 mailme_bd

mailme_bd

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • 363 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

If you have Certificate of Naturalisation you don't need to fill up the Grand parents details on passport application.

#8 alvon

alvon

• Active Members
  • 128 posts
  • gb

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

If you have Certificate of Naturalisation you don't need to fill up the Grand parents details on passport application.

Thanks mailme...

That was my logic, but the form and instruction pamphlet are totally unclear on this.

Seems that Certificate of Naturalisation applicants are an afterthought. After all the years of jumping through hoops, no surprise... I suppose a 'phone call would have cleared it up, but why not just say something in the instructions - they're absolutely specific on everything else?

Edited by alvon, 14 June 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#9 mailme_bd

mailme_bd

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • 363 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I suppose a 'phone call would have cleared it up, but why not just say something in the instructions - they're absolutely specific on everything else?

Yap, thats what I have done. I rang them and ask about this, they said if you have certificate of naturalisation that is suffice.

#10 judy7007

judy7007

• Active Members
  • 96 posts
  • gb

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

That would make absolute sense but I didn't find anywhere on the application form or in the guide notes that explained this. I would be happy to be proved wrong. A statement exactly as in the quoted reply would make things clear.

regards
Judy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users