Ancestry Visa - How does it work

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ianwong

ianwong

• Active Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:13 AM

Uncle's Malacca birth certificate, his marriage certificate and the kids' birth certificates, together with the Cert of Entitlement showing ROA under 2(1)(c ) should do it. This is not at all uncommon in Malaysia, so I wouldn't imagine they'd get a hard time from the BHC - they should be used to it.
cheers

Thank you & have a nice day

#22 trish

trish

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

my question is ... my grandfather was born in uk and my husbands grandparents were born in scotland . from what i gather if we have all the papers connecting us to the grandparents we can apply for ancestry visa.. is there an age restriction for the applicants. my husband recently turned 60 and i am 59, we are both healthy still actively involved in sport and still in control of our own business in south africa .
we have been told not to apply until we are ready to leave but are reluctant to sell up everything and then may be told when applying that we are not accepted or too old etc. how does it work. we have property and our business which would have to be sold which doesnt happen overnight. anyone with advice on this issue ? :blush:

#23 London_Lad

London_Lad

• Active Members
  • 215 posts
  • gg

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

my question is ... my grandfather was born in uk and my husbands grandparents were born in scotland . from what i gather if we have all the papers connecting us to the grandparents we can apply for ancestry visa.. is there an age restriction for the applicants. my husband recently turned 60 and i am 59, we are both healthy still actively involved in sport and still in control of our own business in south africa .
we have been told not to apply until we are ready to leave but are reluctant to sell up everything and then may be told when applying that we are not accepted or too old etc. how does it work. we have property and our business which would have to be sold which doesnt happen overnight. anyone with advice on this issue ? :blush:

Erm, I don't know what to tell you. The Home Office today released a consultation that might abolish the ancestry visa provision by early 2009. That might leave you in a defunct category should you be in the UK by then. Or it might not even exist any more when you decide to apply.

Bad timing, I'm afraid. I'd have a look at the consultation document if I were you to make up your mind:

http://www.bia.homeo...htocitizenship/

(see particularly p. 23-24)

#24 trish

trish

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Erm, I don't know what to tell you. The Home Office today released a consultation that might abolish the ancestry visa provision by early 2009. That might leave you in a defunct category should you be in the UK by then. Or it might not even exist any more when you decide to apply.

Bad timing, I'm afraid. I'd have a look at the consultation document if I were you to make up your mind:

so does that mean if we get approved for ancestry visa do get going this year and arrive in uk our stay would be short lived ? in other words we would have to leave ?

#25 trish

trish

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

hi london lad, thanks will check it out.

#26 London_Lad

London_Lad

• Active Members
  • 215 posts
  • gg

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

No idea. They're going to be hashing this out until Christmas at least.

I don't mean to be trite, but this is the reality of UK immigration. Ambiguity all around.

#27 deniroc

deniroc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • pk

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

Sorry - can't resist - "UK-registered", not just "British"- which could mean anywhere in the Empire.... :) But, as you say, a point that people are apt not to know.

Hi, I want to know what do you mean by Registered in Uk?

My grandparents and father were born in India (British India) births are registered in Uk, how does that help me? Or as I have always heard its no use to us.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users