• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elvisgirl

elvisgirl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • ca

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I am Canadian. I have been living with my boyfriend and working in the UK for 1.5 years. My VISA is due to expire as the 2 year mark is creeping up. The company I am working for would like to sponsor me as a skilled worker. Is there any way of switching my VISA while in the UK before its expiration date or must I return to Canada first? As a sponsored skilled worker, how long am I able to stay in the UK for? I would like to study languages as well. Will my new VISA allow me to do this or does it have many restrictions like the YMS?

Thank you for reading this. I look forward to your reply.

#2 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,145 posts
  • br

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

You can make the necessary arrangements vis a vis securing a certificate of employment sponsorship from inside the UK but will have to leave and apply for the visa from your own country and then enter the UK with that visa.
You are obliged to work for your sponsor per your contract but can study outside the limits of that arrangement. See working and conditions of stay
The visa will be issued for a maximum period of three years and one month or the period given in the Certificate of Sponsorship plus one month (whichever is the shorter) but you can make an extension before the end of that time if your employer requires you further.

#3 Mutly

Mutly

Prefered Member

• Active Members
  • 10,453 posts
  • ad

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

If you happen to have grandparent born in the UK see UK ancestry This would be easier and not tied to the specific employer.

Also if you accumulate two years of cohabitation with your boyfriend and he is a British citizen or has ILR you could apply as an unmarried partner. (From Canada or with valid leave to remain.)

#4 elvisgirl

elvisgirl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • ca

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for your prompt answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users