Photo
- - - - -

Working Holiday Visa Expiring...what To Do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kristahassan

kristahassan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • england

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hi all,

My brother came in on a two year working holiday visa which is due to expire next month (September). When he applied for the visa he had just finished college in south africa and was dependant on my parents who paid for the trip and the visa. My parents have since left South Africa and moved to the UK on ancestry a month ago, however as the ancestry is through my mums grandfather my brother is not entitled to it. He is 25 therefore there is no way he can fall under a dependant of my parents. The problem is he has absolutely nobody to go home to in South africa. We are a family of four, my parents, myself and my brother. I have been here for many years and am now a British citizen. My parents have sold everything ad do not plan on ever returning home. If my brother is to return home he will have nowhere to go as all his family is here. I have searched the internet and cannot seem to find any way of extending his visa. He has tried to join the army, however they are only recruiting in november, his visa will have expired by then. Is there any other way he could extend his visa, given the circumstances without us having to pay hefty lawyer fees? As the working holiday maker visa has since been discontinued I cant find any information of how to extend it. Going back to south africa and applying from there is not an option as he will have nowhere to live, no job, no money to support himself as he was completely dependant on my parents before he left. Hope someone out there can help....Im desperate!

#2 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,145 posts
  • br

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

He can't extend a WHM visa (with a lawyer or otherwise). If he wants to live in the UK he will have to look at work or study options under the points-based system and apply for these from his home country.

#3 sah10406

sah10406

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 5,949 posts
  • uk

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

Going back to south africa and applying from there is not an option as he will have nowhere to live, no job, no money to support himself as he was completely dependant on my parents before he left.

On the contrary, it is the only option, other than an application outside the rules. As an apparently normal healthy 25-year-old man who has been living and working independently for at least 2 years in a foreign country, the high level of dependency on his parents does not sound very convincing, and I can't see anapplication outside the rules having much chance of success. If he has mental or physical health problems, or a condition that prevents him living independently, seems like your parents should have thought of that before emigrating.

It sounds like your parents are willing to support him financially when he goes home, so he would hardly be jobless, homeless and penniless.

Sorry for tough words, but he needs to be realistic about his options. Wishing you well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users