Photo

New article: I Got My ILR After Waiting (and Fighting the HO) For Over Two Years

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vincenzo

vincenzo

• Platinum Members
  • 19 posts
  • gb

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

I got my ILR last week - over two years after I applied. There are many times I thought about giving up and just going home but I am glad that I stuck with it. Here is my story...

November 2008 I applied for ILR after 10years lawful residence. April 2009 the HO refused my application with the HO citing visa gaps. June 2009 I had my first hearing but unfortunately my appeal was dismissed.

July 2009 reconsideration was granted.

September 2009 my reconsideration hearing was adjourned.

November 2009 I had another reconsideration hearing.

December 2009 I received the determination advising me that my reconsideration hearing was dismissed. I was gutted.

September 2010 I was granted permission to appeal to the Court of Appeal.

December 2010 the HO conceded and agreed to grant my ILR.

January 2011 I got my ILR.

To say I have had a rollercoaster ride since I applied for my ILR in 2008 is an understatement. It is just by God's grace that I am still sane. I don't want to bore you guys with the ins and outs of my case but instead I want to share with you some of the things I have learnt during the last two years.

The first thing is that if you believe that you have a case fight. It won't be easy but nothing will change unless you give it a shot. If you are a litigant in person like I was do your research. If you know that you are right don't give up.

There were times I felt like I was the only person in the UK who had visa issues. During those times reading the forum and my faith in God really strengthened me. Remember whatever you are going through, there ain't nothing new under the sun and what won't kill you will only make you stronger.

If you can, talk to someone you can trust. For me my spouse was the person I could talk to - the person that encouraged me when I felt I couldn't go on. Going through the appeal process is draining emotionally. For me the waiting is the worst part. Waiting for the hearing dates, the promulgated determination, news that the HO is not appealing and then when you have won the case, waiting for your visa to be endorsed and sent to you.

In the last 2 years my HO saga has dominated my life. The day my passport came back I was happy but I also felt empty. After 2 years of fighting I didn't know what to do with myself. One thing the whole saga has taught me is that I am a focused go-getter. I know whatever I set my mind to do...I can achieve. Listen to this, I took on the big HO and won, mine is a real modern day David and Goliath story.

All I can say is hang in there you can do it. All the best with your appeals and God bless.

Useful and Relevant UK Immigration Forum Discussions:

Click here to view the article

#2 martins

martins

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • 417 posts
  • uk

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

What a story, all i have to say is that i really like your courage, Congratulations and enjoy your freedom bro.

#3 Favour 2012

Favour 2012

Prefered Member

• Active Members
  • 897 posts
  • gb

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

wow, congrats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users