• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 michaelom

michaelom

• Active Members
  • 25 posts
  • gb

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hello and thanks for reading any and all advice is welcome.

For some background; I am a British citizen I meet my wife who is Japanese in 2010 in Australia. We were both there on a working holiday. Since then we moved to japan in 2011 married and had our first child. I am now here on a Japanese spouse visa.

I struggled to get work here in Japan so we want to move to the UK ASAP. My wife is a registered nurse here but also hasn't worked due to the baby. I have only unskilled work history.
- She has savings of $15,000, I have $5000
- we have letters and bankstatmets of third party financal support from my family.
- An offer of accommodation from my family.
- My daughter is 1 month old now I have registered here at the embassy and applied for a UK passport which I hope to get in 3 weeks time.
- she has taken the relivant English exam.

I am assume my wife applies from Japan online through the UKBA using the VAF4A form

- Is it enough to enter my daughter on my wife's application as our child and dependent or does she need to apply separatley? (my daughter should have a british passport at this stage)

- Maintenance worries me especially because neither of us have had regular work in the past 12 months and are currently unemployed. Would we qualify on savings and family support alone?
(If not what could I do?)

Sorry for the long post. As you all know it is a stressful process and like many on here I can't afford for them to be refused this visa as it would mean being separated with my family. Any one who has any advice to offer I would be very grateful

#2 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,141 posts
  • br

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

See similar discussion with regard to family size and maintenance

#3 michaelom

michaelom

• Active Members
  • 25 posts
  • gb

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the link very interesting I had no idea it was based on the benifit means testing. So If I understand that right we would need more savings or a job offer from the UK to be safe with the maitenance.

In regards with my daughter providing she has her passport no visa is nesessary. We just have to show we can support her and list her as our dependent.

If by some miracle me or my wife were to secure a job offer from the UK before traveling there. what would we need to show, just a letter from the future employer stating that they would employ us?
or failing that what would they look for as serious prospects of work?

and to boost our saving from around the 10,000 GBP sterling to mark closer to 20,000 would it be enough to have letters of financal support from family?

#4 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,141 posts
  • br

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Those numbers were guides rather than absolutes (as indicated by the poster) and yes, you could also rely on third-party support from your family if they have excess than is necessary for their own needs. However, it's increasingly common to see refusals where there is no income, only savings, and those savings don't stretch to the minimum monthly amount projected over a two year period. This is now also indicated in the newly revised guidance.

You and/or your settled partner must demonstrate that you and/or they can cover your living expenses without recourse to public funds in the UK for:

• 27 months, if you are applying from outside the UK; or
  • 2 years, if you are already in the UK and applying to switch from a different immigration category.
A job offer will be considered in support of an application but it depends on the quality and credibility of the offer.

If you think you can't make the maintenance (but with your family's help you surely can) then you might consider visiting the UK, using those six months to establish yourself, and then your wife can take a trip back to Japan to apply for settlement.

#5 vinny

vinny

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7,809 posts
  • th

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

Note that there may be changes soon.

#6 michaelom

michaelom

• Active Members
  • 25 posts
  • gb

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for your help Gentelman of Leisure and the extra link much appreciated.

Thanks Vinny for the link I had no Idea about those proposals to change the rules. I saw on that thread no announcements had been made so can I gather from that that they won't come into effect next month?

The Idea that they could make it more difficult, Is a pretty daunting prospect. I have my fingers crossed that we can apply (April or May) before they do change the rules. Especially seen as we are borderline at the moment.

I feel bad for those who would be completely written off because of their finances and circumstances.
I had no Idea before I started this process that Immigrating to the UK is so difficult. It's so much simpler in Japan which I thought would be the more difficult option. It seems the more multicultural and integrated a country is the more difficult it becomes.

Could anyone tell me anything about the sponsor letter I have to write for my wife, is it just a basic statement I want her to join me in the UK etc?

I really appreciate the advice given on this site and to hear other people's struggles with the system. It's good to know your not alone, I hope when we have finished this process I can help others.

#7 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,141 posts
  • br

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

Could anyone tell me anything about the sponsor letter I have to write for my wife, is it just a basic statement I want her to join me in the UK etc?

Yes.

#8 michaelom

michaelom

• Active Members
  • 25 posts
  • gb

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Just looking over the Visa application for my wife (VAF4A settlement as a spouse).
Wanted to double check the correct way to answer a couple of questions.
- I am a British citizen from birth, my daughter has a British passport.

1: What is the main purpose of your application to come to the UK?
Would to join family be good enough or settle and work eg

2: section 7 travellers under the age of 18. It asks for her details and plans , etc. We already listed her as our child, That she is our dependant and will travel with us in section 4 and 8. So would I be correct in thinking we don't enter our daughter in section 7 because she isn't an applicant?

3: section 8 your sponsor (me). 8.2.9 If your sponsor is in the UK when did they first arrive? (guidance: if your sponsor has been a British citizen since they where born please enter their date of birth here)
Should I leave this blank as I am currently not in the UK?

4: section 8.6 Do you intend to work in the UK (applicant) Guidance: tell us what you intend to do and give details of any employment you have already set up. What kind of thing are they looking for here?
We have no offers of employment for her.

#9 michaelom

michaelom

• Active Members
  • 25 posts
  • gb

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Also do I need to sign a sponsors undertaking form?

#10 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,141 posts
  • br

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Not needed for this particular settlement category.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spouse visa, Maintenance, childs visa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users