• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anoop Jayaraj

Anoop Jayaraj

• New Members
  • 11 posts
  • england

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I was about to apply for my Tier 1 extension and bit confused with some wordings about English Language Requirement in the UKBA website

Tighter English language test requirement for Tier 1 and 2 applicants in the UK

From 6 April 2012 we will be removing the provision for applicants in the UK to apply for permission to stay here (known as leave to remain) before they have taken or received the results of an English language test. This policy applies to applicants applying under Tier 1 (General), Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) and Tier 2 of the points-based system.
The concession was put in place when the English language requirement was introduced to allow migrants to make a visa application for leave to remain before they had taken an English language test or received the results at a time when availability of tests was not known.
Since the initial introduction of the English language requirement, English Language test availability has increased and test providers have increased availability in-line with demand. Migrants should now be able to take a test in good time before needing to make a leave to remain application.

Applicants will continue to be able to take advantage of the concession for visa applications received up to and including 6 April 2012. Visa applications made after 6 April 2012 must be accompanied with evidence that applicants have passed an approved English language test.

1) I am currently here on Tier 1 General . I claimed points for English language requirement based on the Masters i did from University of Leicester when i applied first time. Because of the above change, will it affect my extension application?

2) My wife is also applying along with me for the Tier-1 dependent, she claimed points for english langauage requirement based on the Bachelors Degree she took from one of the recognised univeristy back in India(One of the university listed in UKBA website too). Will above change affect her application too?

#2 SkillClear

SkillClear

SkillClear Work Permit, Tier 1 HSMP and UK Immigration Services

• UK Immigration Consultants
  • 5,753 posts
  • uk

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

You need to read the English language section of the form - it should then be clear what you need to do.

#3 ineedresidence

ineedresidence

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • england

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

I did a quick research in UKBA website. This is what i found:

You must score 10 points for your English language ability, or we will refuse your application.
English is the UK's most widely spoken language. The ability to speak English improves your potential to succeed in the UK labour market, and helps you to integrate into the UK. Therefore, you must have a good knowledge of English.
To meet the English language requirement, you must:
  • currently have permission to stay in the UK under Tier 1 (General), or as a highly skilled migrant under the Immigration Rules that came into force on 5 December 2006; or
  • be a national of a majority English-speaking country; or
  • pass an English language test approved by us; or
  • hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree or above.

http://www.ukba.home.../tier-2-5-1-elr
http://www.ukba.home...al-guidance.pdf

http://www.ukba.home...nglishlanguage/

#4 SkillClear

SkillClear

• 5,753 posts
  • uk

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

So you didn't follow my advice to read the form?

#5 Anoop Jayaraj

Anoop Jayaraj

• New Members
  • 11 posts
  • england

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies

I had covered almost all their guidance, I was asking this question not after reading a specfic area. I am slightly confused whether the tighter english language requirement is overriding their normal rules.

For example in may case me and my wife will come under "hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree " as well as
"currently have permission to stay in the UK under Tier 1 (General),"

My question is whether the new tighter English langauage requirement is overriding all the rules or not?

Edited by Anoop Jayaraj, 08 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#6 SkillClear

SkillClear

• 5,753 posts
  • uk

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

There is nothing in Tier 1 General extension rules regarding tightening of English Language rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users