2 replies to this topic

#1 Kafkaontheshore

Kafkaontheshore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • england

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hi there

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I have looked through the forum and haven't found a similar topic yet.
I have just recently gotten married back home in South Africa (yay!) but both my wife and I have been living in the UK for the past 6 years and both were on ILR's (mine a year sooner).

I have just received my British citizenship letter with my ceremony due in the first week of December.
My wife already has her ILR, received this July.

Would she be able to apply for naturalisation now as I have received my citizenship (or after my ceremony)?
I was just concerned as we weren't sure whether the rules were different if we were married outside the UK.

Your advice and help would be much appreciated!

#2 Susi

Susi

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,368 posts
  • uk

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hi there

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I have looked through the forum and haven't found a similar topic yet.
I have just recently gotten married back home in South Africa (yay!) but both my wife and I have been living in the UK for the past 6 years and both were on ILR's (mine a year sooner).

I have just received my British citizenship letter with my ceremony due in the first week of December.
My wife already has her ILR, received this July.

Would she be able to apply for naturalisation now as I have received my citizenship (or after my ceremony)?
I was just concerned as we weren't sure whether the rules were different if we were married outside the UK.

Your advice and help would be much appreciated!

After your ceremony assuming your wife has at least 3 years of legal residence in the UK.
Congratulations by the way.

#3 Kafkaontheshore

Kafkaontheshore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • england

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Susi.
She already has about 6 years residency but only received the ILR in July.
Great, so she can apply sooner now, rather than next July.

Thanks for the congratulations as well!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users