Jump to content


I Need Some Clear Advise


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TTboy33


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Location:London
  • gb

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:06 AM


I came to the UK for university and then got my PSW visa, I and my partner and we never thought about getting married or anything but now i have until January for my visa to be expired and have the leave the country. My partner is from an EU country and he has lived in the UK for a little over 5 yrs and he works here and I'm from the caribbean so now that time is coming closer to me leaving we are trying to figure out whats the best thing to do. We want to get married but not sure what to do such as do i go home and then return in a mth going to Spain where gay marriage is legal then come back to the uk and try apply for me to stay here or I was told about the EEA2 not sure what to do really as my partner he goes back home 2 times a mth as he goes for his university classes, so looking for some help as to what can be done. I was even told i could go into a civil partnership here with him and as he is not a uk citizen we wont have to show that we have been together for 2 yrs etc and i can get 5 yrs to stay here. Not sure what i can do, can anyone help?

#2 Visa Direct

Visa Direct

    Prefered Member

  • UK Immigration Consultants
  • 4,110 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London
  • Interests:VISA DIRECT

    Level 3 OISC specialist
    Ex Immigration Officer
    17 Years Experience

    Address: 18 Soho Square
    London W1D 3QL
  • uk

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I would suggest legal assistance... your case is slightly more complicated than most.

#3 Victoria


    Prefered Member

  • UK Immigration Consultants
  • 42,795 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London
  • Interests:MediVisas UK LLP

    Level 3 OISC Immigration Specialists
    Consultations by appointment only

    Tel: +44 (0) 207 953 3090
    Fax: +44 (0) 207 953 3091
  • uk

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

If you have a civil partnership in the UK then you can get your residence card from here, but I agree that legal assistance might be a good idea.

#4 Mutly


    Prefered Member

  • Active Members
  • 10,453 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • ad

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

It would be easier to enter a civil partnership in the UK. As long as your partner is exercising treaty rights, eg. working, you can get a residence card in the UK. It will be important to show evidence of a genuine relationship because the HO will probably look closely at that because your existing visa is about to expire. If you have an advisor assist with showing that, it shouldn't be a problem especially if you can show you've been living together.

Your partner might be a permanent resident, that depends on the length of his absences from the UK over the five years. Either way though it is possible if you show your relationship.

You might also be able to switch to tier 2 if your employment qualifies and the employer is a registered sponsor, but the EEA route is free and likely easier and you could do any work under the EEA rules.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EEA2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users