Photo

Brazil To Uk Visit Limitations? Please Help...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 hank83

hank83

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • uk

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

Hi

Im hoping some guys here can help me understand some basic immigration rules regarding my Brazilian girlfriends future visits/stay in England.

I'm in a fairly new relationship With a Brazilian woman, Its got to a point where we want to be together as often a possible! So my questions are as follows....

Am I right in thinking that she can stay here in England for up to 6 with little or no trouble from uk immigration?

Another question is...If this is the case how long will she have to go back to Brazil for before here next visit again possibly for another 6 months?
Is this even possible?

Last question Is probably a question that's been asked here a thousand times, What will it require to have her stay here permanent?

I have heard She may need a "sponsor"? someone who will keep here her and prove a rather large amount of income somewhere like 20.000 pounds annually?

I am a uk citizen born and bread in England with a British passport...As You might tell I'm not very clued up when it comes to immigration and so i'm hoping one or two of You good folks here reading this might be able to shed a little light on a matter very close to my heart?

ANY help at all regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated Many thanks in advance..

Hank.

#2 hank83

hank83

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • uk

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

Many Apologies if this post in in the WRONG section...

Thanks

Hank

#3 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,139 posts
  • br

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

There is a loosely applied limit on visit entry to the UK of 6 months per year. It's only really applied with vigour when it appears obvious that this limit is being abused to effectively live in the UK. Yes she can stay for six months on her initial entry. Perhaps she can leave and then re-enter soon after. It entirely depends on the profile of the arriving passenger and what compelling reasons they have to return. If she is young, financially straightened, has no job or binding ties to Brazil, and has only the purpose of seeing you for the reason for her visit, she may not be permitted to simply return to enjoy another six months very soon after leaving.

If she wants to settle in the UK she will have to marry.

http://www.ukba.home...tizens-settled/

#4 hank83

hank83

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • uk

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Ok so she can stay here for 6 months of the year with little trouble from immigration. So if she decides to spend 6 months of every year here in the uk with myself this could be seen as the abuse of the system you mention? .. "Perhaps she can leave and then re-enter soon after".. YES this is what we would like.
would this be ok to return after after the remaining 6 months of the year was spend in brazil and do this throughout the years to come?
I could travel to brazil with her for a significant portion of this remaining time.
Yes she is young, she is or rather will be financially stable in this time, Am I right in thinking here chances or a legitimate 6 months stay here in the uk would be greatly improved if she was to have an open job waiting for her when she returns to brazil.. This kinda Seems obvious.
What other things can we do to give her the best chance of proving her stay here in the uk?

"If she wants to settle in the UK she will have to marry."....No problem!
​What sort of benefits would this have? Im presuming its not this simple.. Life NEVER is...

Many Thanks for your help.

Hank.

#5 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,139 posts
  • br

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

If she does not go over six months a year she should not have any problems. The more she does this the better her chances as it will demonstrate that she plays fair by the rules. The only real issue is that of her means. If she is not independently wealthy (and it will be obvious she is not holding down employment if she spends half the year outside her home country) they could wonder where it all comes from.

#6 hank83

hank83

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • uk

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes this is what i thought too.. The problem is she is real SCARED of talking to immigration. I think She has this idea that if they don't like the look of her or if shes not a confident speaker.
They will not grant here access? She traveled here with some friends from Rio a few months ago she was lucky but her friend was talking with immigration for nearly 4 hours.
She is worried a lot about immigration here. I try to tell her to relax and speak the truth, But she worries far too much in my opinion I don't know if that's wrong of me to say because its very easy for me to travel outside of Europe.

Is it a problem for me to cover the cost of living here with me for her entire stay?..Sure she will have her own money but as I'm sure you will know the currency exchange isn't great when converting to pounds..I'm not sure if she can have a job waiting for her return, its something she will have to find out for sure.

If there's anything else that might help us better our chances or being together. I would be very grateful to hear.

Thanks again for your help friend.

Hank.

#7 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,139 posts
  • br

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Define cover the cost of her living; do you mean she has absolutely no money of her own: no credit or bank cards? If you are paying for everything and she is young has no job, this will be a huge problem if she is probed by the admitting officer. He has been trained in what to look out for and can see at a glance the profile of those who he may wish to question in more detail. I travel often from Brazil to the UK and while I'm on the plane I play a game with myself to see if I can guess the passengers who are most likely to be held back at immigration control for further questioning. I always seem to guess at least one; there they are sitting on the seat next to the booth waiting for the supervisor to arrive and have a chat.

#8 hank83

hank83

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • uk

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ok so..She does have her own money. Not a great deal by any means but never less its hers..She does have credit cards and debit cards. She does currently have a job but i'm not entirely sure if this job will stay open for her when she returns. or whether she can find another job when she returns, I'm guessing she will struggle here.
So lets say she arrives in the uk with a little money of her own in the bank and with credit cards debit cards ect..
What I mean is i will be helping her financially during her stay here. currency exchange to pounds isn't great for her as you will know.

That's a fun sounding game you play there, You must have a keen eye for this stuff. In fact your wasted why don't you join the force as some sort of "spotter"? ;)
How do you make your assumptions yourself given that these people are total strangers..

Just how exactly do they choose who to pull to one side and chat with, or am i missing something?

Thanks.

#9 hank83

hank83

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • uk

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Ok yes I hear you there. What an awful stereotypical generalizing way of picking out someone. Ill pass your words on for sure!
So more of the money she could have to spend here funding her own life can be spent on expensive clothes just to satisfy immigration officer.. Lol I have to laugh..
Lets hope she arrives from the plane In a cloud of smoke dressed like some Hollywood celebrity!

All jokes aside Thanks again for the info. I'm really just trying to convince her to let go of some of the worry's she has about travelling here and talking with immigration officers.
So as a general rule of thumb..If she can keep ties to brazil, can prove her financial situation is adequate , dresses and looks like a million bucks. clutching a purse full of credit cards.
She wont have much trouble?. Rather her chances are improved?

Hank

#10 magpie

magpie

Prefered Member

• Active Members
  • 617 posts
  • uk

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hi

I think this all looks very high risk for failure. Immigration officers will certaily question ties to Brazil, if she has no job to return to, and in reality is this a suitable life choice for you both. 6 months here and 6 months there, with maybe no means of support or stable accomodation back in Brazil when she returns. It looks to me and it will to them that all this is contrived so that she is basically almost living in the UK, without the appropriate entry clearance.

No point having a purse full of credit cards, with no means to pay the bills. Spending on them here will certainly build up a big balance to pay. If you say that you will cover the credit card costs, then probably better just to say, if it is the case, that you can and will fund her whole stay here in the UK, and you must evidence that you can do this.

Do you have to apply for a visit visa first?

You mention getting married, what are the benefits, it seems you mean in relation to immigration. Weird question, you either plan to marry genuinely or not, the only benefit should be that you get to live together with the person you love.

My thoughts, if they are worth anything are, try and get the 6 months visit, so that you can see if you want to be together, then go back, get married and apply for spouse visa or apply for fiancee visa if marriage is something you both want now, or, you go there, get married, and apply for spouse visa.
Little risk of questioning by IO's with these options, in my view.

Oh and immigration is one big bag of sterotyping, assumptions, and discrimination, if you ask me- so definately don't expect fair play. The poorer the country you are from, the worse all these are.

Good Luck x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users