2 replies to this topic

#1 umzyi

umzyi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • uk

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Dear all,

I am here seeking some quality advice from you all.

I am a latvian (A8) citizen and came to UK to study in September 2007. It was a four year degree course that ended in June 2011. In September 2011, I embarked on a MSc course that lasted me for a year until October 2012.

I have now completed my 5 years continuous residence as a student. In the mean time, I have also been working part time in and out. I received my WRS in 2008.

I have read on the UKBA website that in order to apply for permanent residence I need to show them an evidence of "Comprehensive Sickness Insurance".

When I initially came to UK in 2007, I never heard of such law and after reading through some websites its has come to my knowledge that this requirement was introduced in 2009.

Now checking back, When I first arrived to UK, I had an EHIC card that was valid for one year. I didn't know what this card was for, but my educational agency said that its better to have it. So i took it out.

Then after a year when it expired I didn't bother to extended it. But after a year I took it again which is lasting me until today.

So just to summarise, I had EHIC for:

July 2007- July 2008 --- Valid EHIC card
July 2008- August 2009--- No Insurance
August 2009- August 2012 --- Valid EHIC
August 2012- to date --- Valid EHICH Card

So from July 2008 till August 2009, I had no insurance.

Now can someone advice me what should I do? If i would apply for PR, can i get away on the basis that the new law to provides CSI came in to effect in 2009 and I was from a previous batch?

I have an EHIC card that only states the end date but no start date. So i were to send that card to UKBA will the be able to check to find that I didn't have the CSI for a one year period?

Or shall I wait for another year in order to complete me 5 years residency with a valid EHIC?

P.S my husband is in the process of applying for his citizenship for which he received his indefinite last year on the basis of 10 year long residency.

What would you advice me?

Thanks for your cooperation.

#2 Mutly

Mutly

Prefered Member

• Active Members
  • 10,453 posts
  • ad

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Did you ever have a residence document issued as a student?

After you got your WRS, did you continue working with no gaps over a month? It doesn't matter if it was part time or how many hours a week, but does matter if it was continuous. For the time you were working you don't need compreghensive sickness insurance.

#3 umzyi

umzyi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • uk

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

Did you ever have a residence document issued as a student?

After you got your WRS, did you continue working with no gaps over a month? It doesn't matter if it was part time or how many hours a week, but does matter if it was continuous. For the time you were working you don't need compreghensive sickness insurance.

I have sent you a pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users