Jump to content


Re-Apply Residence Card Or Go For Permanent Residence Card

  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 Golf


    New Member

  • Platinum Members
  • 16 posts
  • uk

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

5. Permanent residence card    

You can apply for a permanent residence card after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years. This will prove your right to live in the UK permanently.


You’re eligible if both:

  • you’ve lived with your European Economic Area (EEA) family member in the UK for a continuous 5 year period
  • your EEA family member has been a ‘qualified person’ throughout the 5 years or has a permanent right of residence

You can also get permanent residence if you’ve lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years:

  • as the extended family member of an EEA national and you’ve held a validEEA family permit or residence card throughout
  • first as the family member of an EEA national and then with a retained right of residence
  • as the family member of the relevant British citizen, if you entered the UK under the ‘Surinder Singh’ route

You can get permanent residence before 5 years if either:

  • you were living with your EEA national family member, who was working or self-employed in the UK, immediately before their death
  • your EEA national family member was working or self-employed in the UK but has ‘ceased activity’ (stopped work or self-employment because of retirement or permanent incapacity, or because they’re now working or self-employed in another EEA state but are still resident and return to the UK at least once a week)
  • Hi Susi
  • Does it mean my sister can apply PRC before 5 years as her husband is retired?

#12 Susi


    Prefered Member

  • Global Moderators
  • 11,027 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:tunbridge wells
  • uk

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

I'm reluctant to advise you due to the more complicated rules under the Surinder Singh route and the fact that your sister and brother-in-law returned to Germany during her qualification period. You really need to speak to a legal professional who specialises in EEA Regulations and has  broad understanding of Surinder Singh. The Home Office has tightened up considerably on those who have entered the UK using this route. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users