Jump to content


Passport Name For The Child

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hello world

hello world

    New Member

  • Platinum Members
  • 6 posts
  • uk

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Dear all,


could  anyone help me on this.


I am applying for my child's naturalization  through Form MN1 "Application for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen."


Both child's parents (Father and mother) have ILR settlement bio metric residence card (BRC). but nother has different surname than father.


the problem is 

Child is born in UK with Birth certificate following father's surname, which is also the name we want him to have.


But when mother apply child's Japanese passport, because mother has different surname than father, the child ended up with mother's surname in his passport, and subsequently when we applied for the settlement, mother's surname followed into BRC as well.


Now child's BRC is expire soon, so we wanted to apply child naturalization for him, but wanted father's surname to be carried to British passport. 


What is the best way doing it?

I have call the home office for advice, made 10 calls with 10 different answers. Someone insisted mother has to go through the process of change her surname to father's surname then change child's surname, then child's passport surname then BRC surname then apply naturalization? But that is going to take years due to the long process.


Someone also suggested to apply naturalization under child's current Japanese passport name under mother's surname temporarily, then apply deed poll service to change child name to birth certificate name. but people warn this only changes the passport still can't change the registered name for naturalization.


I wanted to go for the latter option, but people say deed poll doesn't allow me to change all government records about child, which could lead to confusion or two conflicted identities, is that right?


So which one is better then and what are the drawbacks of each options? Cos the naturalization cost me a lot money and I just want to get it right first time without being rejected, but want to have the same consistent name as child's birth certificate, because all his school records, medical records were under the birth certificate name, Could someone please help?





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users