• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#11 paulchristian

paulchristian

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • uk

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

I just only have my british passport. I think that i don't have a British Birth certificate because my father was born in grenada and not in the UK. On my last page's passport is says: Registered for the year 1971.

I don't know why i have to prove again that my father was british to qualify to BOC if I have a british passport .

I was interesting to get BOC passport because I work for a UK company in venezuela and I am moving to the middle east and there's no venezuelan embassy or venezuelan protection in case of emergency. then I think I will be moving to the UK

Edited by paulchristian, 04 September 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#12 ppron747

ppron747

Prefered Member

• Moderators
  • 722 posts
  • uk

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:31 PM

I don't think there's anything I can add to what I have already said...

#13 JAJ

JAJ

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,248 posts
  • ad

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

my first British passport was issue on 1971 and expired on 1975. when grenada got their independence the british embassy told that I lost my CUKC's passport or nationality because my parents were born in grenada

And they are correct unless your father went to the British Embassy when he became Venezuelan and formally signed away his British nationality.

Did this happen or did it not? You need to find out the answer. Any Venezuelan forms your father signed at the time are irrelevant.

If your father did sign away his British nationality at the British Embassy, then they are probably wrong in what they say, and you are a British Overseas citizen.

If your father did not take that specific step, then you almost certainly became a citizen of Grenada on 7 February 1974 and lost your British nationality at that point. Whether you are still a Grenada citizen or not depends on what Grenada law says.

Paul has given you some very good advice on the next steps to take. It's your choice as to whether or not to follow them. But either way, no online forum is going to find out these answers for you.

#14 paulchristian

paulchristian

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • uk

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

Thank you for you advice. If I contact the grenadian embassy and If they tell me that father was not registered as a citizen of grenada and consequently I am not elegible for the Grenadian citizenship. Could I apply for a British Overseas Citizenship.

I dont have a British style birth certificate, I only have my british passport that was issued on 1971.
I am a CUKC by descent. Can I get a British Style Birth Certificate from the British Embassy?

If I live in the United Kingdom and then I apply for the British Citizenship by registration. could my son apply for a British citizenship by descent because I was british before his birth and later I had applied for the British Citizenship by registration?

#15 ppron747

ppron747

Prefered Member

• Moderators
  • 722 posts
  • uk

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

1. If your father was born in Grenada, he was a citizen of the UK & Colonies by birth. When Grenada became independent, he became a citizen of Grenada AUTOMATICALLY. There was no need for him to be registered. That is according to section 94(1) of the Grenada Independence Constitution. And he would have lost citizenship of the UK & Colonies at this point.

2. If, as you say, you were born in 1960 - long before Grenadian independence - you were a citizen of the UK & Colonies by descent. When Grenada became independent, you became a citizen of Grenada AUTOMATICALLY. There was no need for you to be registered. That is according to section 94(3) of the Grenada Independence Constitution. And you would have lost citizenship of the UK & Colonies at this point.

3. The ONLY thing that would have prevented this would be if you can prove that your father renounced citizenship of the UK & Colonies after your birth, but before Grenadian independence. Then you would have been a citizen of the UK & Colonies by descent but, because your father did not qualify for Grenadian citizenship, you would not have qualified for Grenadian citizenship either. Then you would have retained citizenship of the UK & Colonies, and would now be a British Overseas citizen.

4. The only possible way that you can claim British Overseas citizenship is described in paragraph 3 above. There is no other way.

5. Even if you are a British Overseas citizen (which I seriously doubt) how do you plan to live legally in the United Kingdom for the six years that are necessary in order to qualify for registration as a British citizen? British Overseas citizens are "subject to control under the Immigration Act 1971" which means they cannot settle in the UK without first qualifying for entry clearance under the Immigration Rules.

6. I don't want to be rude, but I am hoping that this isn't going to develop into another fourteen fruitless posts

#16 paulchristian

paulchristian

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

I've contact the grenadian embassy, they say that there are three exceptions on the Grenadian nationality law

Prior to independence, persons connected with Grenada held British nationality.

Persons connected with Grenada at independence may have retained citizenship of the UK and Colonies if:

*they did not acquire Grenadian citizenship; or
*they had specified ties to the UK itself, *or a place which remained a colony
Such persons would have become British citizens on 1 January 1983 if they had acquired a Right of Abode in the UK before that date. Otherwise they would be British Overseas citizens.

#17 paulchristian

paulchristian

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • uk

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

I've contact the grenadian embassy, they say that there are three exceptions on the Grenadian nationality law

Prior to independence, persons connected with Grenada held British nationality.

Persons connected with Grenada at independence may have retained citizenship of the UK and Colonies if:

*they did not acquire Grenadian citizenship; or
*they had specified ties to the UK itself, *or a place which remained a colony
Such persons would have become British citizens on 1 January 1983 if they had acquired a Right of Abode in the UK before that date. Otherwise they would be British Overseas citizens.

My Father was recruited in Grenada to work in the RAF in the UK during the WWII. He was in England for four years. Does that enables me to apply for a British Citizen passport by descent?. Another information taken from Grenada Constitution: '2) Any person who, having been born outside Grenada, is on 6th February 1974 a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and under the age of eighteen years shall, if his father or his mother becomes a citizen of Grenada on 7th February 1974 by virtue of section 94(2) of this Constitution be entitled, upon application being made on his behalf by his parent or guardian before he attains the age of eighteen years or before such later date as may be prescribed by Parliament, to be registered as a citizen of Grenada.'

#18 JAJ

JAJ

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,248 posts
  • ad

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

My Father was recruited in Grenada to work in the RAF in the UK during the WWII. He was in England for four years. Does that enables me to apply for a British Citizen passport by descent?.

No.

Another information taken from Grenada Constitution: '2) Any person who, having been born outside Grenada, is on 6th February 1974 a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and under the age of eighteen years shall, if his father or his mother becomes a citizen of Grenada on 7th February 1974 by virtue of section 94(2) of this Constitution be entitled, upon application being made on his behalf by his parent or guardian before he attains the age of eighteen years or before such later date as may be prescribed by Parliament, to be registered as a citizen of Grenada.'

Section 94(2) of the Constitution only applies to those who acquired British nationality in Grenada by naturalisation or registration

The Grenada constitution is here:
http://pdba.georgeto.../gren73eng.html

If you want to leave Venezuela, why don't you just apply for a Grenada passport?

#19 JAJ

JAJ

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,248 posts
  • ad

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

The question tacked onto the end of this thread has been moved to:
http://www.ukresiden...showtopic=74344

This thread is now closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users