Photo

How long does it take for Ancestral Citizenship to be cleared

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 maxquestions

maxquestions

• Active Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:SOCIAL ACTIVIST, CHARITY WORKER, FOUNDER OF CHILD VISION INDIA.
  • uk

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

I have read your problem with some interest. Actually, it seems to me that you should apply for an IRISH CITIZENSHIP and then Irish Passport as you are the grandchild of a person born in Ireland, which includes N.Ireland.

An Irish passport gets you many more benefits and your aim to settle in the UK will be much easier and smooth. It will be easier for you to sponsor a person because you will be acting on EU rules, workers rights etc. All this is available on the internet.

Wish you all the luck you need.

#22 JAJ

JAJ

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,248 posts
  • ad

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

An Irish passport gets you many more benefits and your aim to settle in the UK will be much easier and smooth. It will be easier for you to sponsor a person because you will be acting on EU rules, workers rights etc.

True, but entering the UK under EEA rules means a much longer wait for permanent residence. Five years as opposed to two (or immediately) available under the Immigration Rules. Be careful.

#23 John

John

Tax Consultant

• Admin
  • 6,020 posts
  • uk

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

True, under EEA rules, that is correct, but under the special UK-Ireland arrangement, an Irish Citizen is deemed to be a Permanent Resident as soon as they start living in the UK.

#24 JAJ

JAJ

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,248 posts
  • ad

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

True, under EEA rules, that is correct, but under the special UK-Ireland arrangement, an Irish Citizen is deemed to be a Permanent Resident as soon as they start living in the UK.

That's true. The "trap" occurs when an Irish citizen chooses to sponsor a non-EEA partner under the EEA rules rather than the Immigration Rules without thinking through all the consequences.

#25 DAD2BE

DAD2BE

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • uk

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:12 AM

Well I have got back from South Africa & guess what, we found out it was her great grandfather who was born in Belfast NOT her grandfather. OH GREAT (pun not intended honest). we had to take drastic measures & get married. So congratulate us on that one, we are very happy & were goign to do it anyway, so we are now appling for a spousal VISA. Now I have questions about the Spousel VISA which I will post on that forum. Join me over hthere if you wish to read more or advise me futher. Alternativley we are going to write a book about the whole experience of our relationship & the ongoing heart ache of us trying to be together. See on the other forum & any helpwill be much appriciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users