30 replies to this topic

#21 sash

sash

• Active Members
  • 23 posts
  • uk

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:28 PM

HI John,

What I have gathered from your last post is that I can apply on the 14.01.08. and the 80 odd days that I was out of the country will not add towards my total stay of three years. Thanks for letting me know that the test is valid till i apply for citizenship. I hope there is nothing else to be done till the time I apply for Naturalisation :)

#22 John

John

Tax Consultant

• Admin
  • 6,020 posts
  • uk

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

Just ensure that in the 1 year period up to when you apply you are not out of the UK for more than 90 days. There is another test as well .... not out of the UK more than 270 days in the 3 year period up to when you apply .... but clearly on your facts that will not be a problem. Or put it another way, if you are out of the UK 90 or less days in the 1 year period, you cannot possibly have been out of the UK more than 270 days in the 3 year period.

On your facts apply on or shortly after 14.01.08.

#23 Megx

Megx

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hi. First of all I'd like to say sorry for my horible writing as it's very poor :blush: comparing to my spoken English . That's way Iím happy that Life in UK test is an ABC choice :thumbup:
Any way I'm confused about one thing... I came to UK in October 2003 before my country joined EU. In May 2004 I registered in Home Office Working Permit Shame. In 2006 I applied for Temporary Residency Permit (after being told in Home Office that this is what I have to do before applying for IRL) which I've got now till November 2010. Few days ago I read somewhere that because my country is in EU I don't need IRL and in May 2009 I can apply for Naturalisation, presuming that no rules change again :huh: and I pass my Life in UK test ;)
The thing is, that in the rules of Naturalisation is said that Iíve got to have an IRL to apply for Citizenship :wacko: So what is the truth?
Thanks for any info :)

#24 John

John

Tax Consultant

• Admin
  • 6,020 posts
  • uk

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

The situation, as I see it, is this. The time in the UK prior to your country joining the EU on 01.05.04 no longer counts towards your immigration status. 5 years after 01.05.04 .... on 01.05.09 .... assuming you have been exercising EU Treaty Rights for those 5 years .... you will get PR status ... Permanent Residence. You do not need to pass the Life in the UK Citizenship Test in order to get your PR.

Then, after you have had your PR status for 1 year .... from 01.05.10 ... you will be able to apply for Naturalisation as British ... but to apply for that you will need to have passed the Life in the UK test.

Hope this helps.

#25 Megx

Megx

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

you will get PR status ...
Then, after you have had your PR status for 1 year .... from 01.05.10 ... you will be able to apply for Naturalisation as British ... but to apply for that you will need to have passed the Life in the UK test.

Thanks for your reply.
Do I get PR automatically or do I have to apply? I rang HO and they told me that as a member of EU I don't need PR and I can apply for Naturalisation in May 2009 :huh:

Megan

#26 John

John

Tax Consultant

• Admin
  • 6,020 posts
  • uk

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

You do not have to apply, but you can if you wish, using form EEA3 to do that.

You need to have your PR for at least 1 year before applying for your Naturalisation, so clearly you do not qualify in 2009.

#27 Megx

Megx

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

Thanks a lot John :)

#28 mustufa

mustufa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • uk

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:48 PM

Hi, I am due to apply for ILR in September 2008. I had passed my Life in UK test before the new revision was implemented (i.e in around May 2007). Do I need to reappear for the Life in UK test under new syllabus ? or my old certificate is still valid.

#29 Susi

Susi

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,998 posts
  • uk

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

It's still valid :)

#30 LYNNE

LYNNE

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • uk

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

Just thought i'd post a personal review of the study guide that John recommended . Firstly can i just say that i did infact end up buying both this guide and the official guide . The main reason being that over the course of the past week in my searches on the net i've come across a few comments from people who had used the official study guide , taken the test and it appeared that they came across some questions that weren't covered in the book recommended here , so in my panic i thought i'd better cover all eventualities .

Having now read both books i'm beginning to understand that probably due to copyright laws , some questions maybe asked in a different manner but the relevant chapters in both books cover the same subject material to the same degree .

I would whole heartedly second John's recommendation , not only because it focuses entirely on subjects relevant to the test but rather than having three longer chapters , the book breaks them up into 7 smaller units so they are easier to digest .

It gives a set of questions to revise after each chapter ( answers are provided in the back of the book ) and a summary of that chapter ..it also provides a list of certain words , terms or phrases and it explains what they mean , so not only are you reading a sentence but you can check to make sure you've understood it properly . There are also translated sections of this in Hindi , Urdu and Somali .

So to sum up ...7 smaller units ( chapters ) , summary and questions after each unit so it gets your brain thinking in terms of which parts you should be taking care to remember and understand .

The book also provides a list of dates in British history so that you can see at a glance all the dates mentioned in the book and revise them that way too if it helps .

It also provides diagrams that are easy to understand and helpful in making sure you understand the percentages and figures etc .

"The British Citizenship Test" study guide takes you through the test process , advising you of what kind of things you need to be aware of , what things to watch out for and reminds you to look carefully at the question in front of you . It then provides you with ten practice tests with the answers at the very back of the book . It's a convenient size and would fit into a handbag or large coat pocket so you can take it with you wherever you go and get friends or colleagues to test you out :biggrin:

It really does tell you everything you need to know , from the first steps of your naturalisation and what you need in order to obtain it . It tells you what you need to bring with you to your " Life In The Uk Test " , guides you through your application and describes what happens at a citizenship ceremony , it even guides you on your first application for a British passport ....what more could you ask for ?

One very helpful addition to this book is a website run by the publishers where you can take practice tests online for free .

I know i'm not supposed to be comparing the two guides and it's not for me to tell anyone which one to buy but what i can tell you is that the " British Citizenship Test Guide " does exactly what it says . It has been written and laid out to give you the maximum help and to ensure that you are familiar with everything that's relevant to naturalisation and this test . So that gets a big :thumbup: from me

I can say for sure that if i pass the test it will be thanks to the guide that John recommended and the various good people out there who have made practice tests available for free online .

I'm not sure if i'm permitted to put a link to the book on the forum so maybe John or Paul could do that for me if that's the case :) .

Regards
Snidge ...who's taking her test next week :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users