thanks for the info that is great

#12 Syrinx

Syrinx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • uk

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:31 PM

Q. What do u know about Big Ben?

It is the World famous Clock-Tower at the end of Parliament House. Its whole structure weights about 15tons & clock mechanism itself weights about 5 tons.

If I asked that question of someone and they gave me that answer, I would politely back away and leave the room... TOO MUCH INFORMATION!! Quite scary in fact. Find me a regular person in the street in the UK who knows this!!

:glare:

....and it is wrong, Big Ben is the bell not the tower.

Unless you were some form of clock engineer/enthusiast this is the sort of thing that will get you refused. Given they weren't planning a horological tour of the UK I guess this isn't the case

#13 pankajnikale

pankajnikale

• Active Members
  • 32 posts
  • in

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:53 AM

Your interview was as good as your reply to their questions. Really very well described.
But I did not get that weather you got the VISA or not?
Since me and my wife have also applied and got refused, so we have filed an appeal and waiting for the final result.

Please reply

#14 Stephanie

Stephanie

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • uk

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

I came to the UK from Canada 12 years ago on Working Holidaymaker - things have changed a lot since then, they were more relaxed and kinder to us at that time. I did not have to do an interview to be granted my visa. But when I got to Heathrow they asked me some questions at the immigration desk. I had already been accepted into a one-year masters programme at Cambridge, so they asked about the second year:

Them: What jobs will you do?

Me: I want to work on some archaeological excavations. My first degree was in archaeology and I am doing that for the MPhil as well.

Them (sharply): You do know you can't take any job related to your career!!?!?

Me: (scared) Yes well working causally on 1 or 2 month digs won't actually lead to a career....

Them: hmmmmm, ok then.

So you should make SURE that you don't say you will be doing jobs related to your education or the career you are preparing for!!! I think that is why the previous poster was denied - he was proud (rightly so) of his education and having planned ahead to find jobs in his field, but that was actually the biggest mistake. They don't need to be convinced that you will find a job - they need to be convinced that you will not stay on and make a career here, and that they won't be stuck with you forever.

So make sure you say that you are going to take low-level, temporary, non-career building jobs. Say you are going to work on archaeological excavations! Or be a waiter! something like that. Don't say you are a trained IT person and want a job in IT - they will see that as leading to a UK career and eventual settlement, and that is the biggest red flag for working holidaymaker.

good luck all.

#15 wabuthu

wabuthu

• Active Members
  • 97 posts
  • uk

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

I don't know how relevant this will be as the scheme is changing from tomorrow. But just in case there are still some people with pending WHM interviews i will add what i remember from my interview. I had applied for a WHM visa back in 2003. Back then not many people knew about WHM in my home country and there were no useful forums like these to discuss and find out more information, so i was rather ignorant and assumed it would go smoothly because i had previously visited the UK in 2000 with no problems. I don't remember the exact wording but more or less went like this:

Q. Why do you want to go the UK? and how long?
A: To take advantage of the WHM scheme, i plan to stay for 2 years

Q: Where do you plan to visit?
A: Ummmm, buckingham palace, madame tussauds, planeterium....ummmm

Q: All those places you have mentioned you can visit in less than a weekend....what will you do with the rest of your 2 years?
A: Ummm...i will visit leeds, manchester, bath (i mentioned a few other places just guessing aimlessly).

Q: Do you intend to work and doing what?
A: Yes, i plan to work some months in between my holiday doing odd jobs.

Q: Are you being sponsored and by who?
A: My uncle is sponsoring me with x amount.

After that i don't remember much of the interview, i already knew it was going badly. My refusal was based on 3 main grounds: that is
1) You do not have enough funds because you say your uncle will sponsor you, yet is married and with 3 children who are of school going age and hence cannot support you as well.

2) You are unable to respond to what you will do or see for the 2 years you intend to stay in the UK.

3) You have no realistic career prospects at present in your home country and therefore I do not believe your intention will be to return after your stay. (even though i had a BSc. and was working). Hence i refuse your visa (but you have right of appeal).

I remember i was absolutely crushed and saddened by the decision. I didn't bother to appeal because as i mentioned those days no one knew much about the WHM. That was 5 years ago, now i'm back in the UK pursuing further studies. I've learnt alot after that refusal, it has made me extra careful and extra prepared for every visa application i've made after that.

My few words of advice for those applying are:
-Make sure you know your full intinerary for your visit, plenty of details of where you will be staying, visiting, working etc as well as some UK general knowledge will be beneficial. Treat the visa application/interview with the same seriousness you would treat a job application/interview. And stay cool, calm and collected during the interview. Oh and have lots of confidence too.

#16 Deepak J

Deepak J

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • in

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hi I have also applied for a WHMV Visa at Chandigrah( India) office of VFS on 30 oct. But now it's been more than 30 days. I have not heard anything from VFS . When I tried to search on thier web site using the ref number. It says Invalid Search.. What going on ?? Does bnybody have any idea how long does it take??

Regards,,

Deepak J

#17 misven

misven

• Active Members
  • 20 posts
  • uk

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

Hi,
make sure they have received your application first. I made mine in August and got a reply in 2 weeks, it was denied and now waiting for an appeal date that should come in December but the trial could be months down the line.
The fact that they have changed the scheme could be why you haven't got a reply yet but first make sure that the application did reach them.

Good luck. :licking:

#18 pankajnikale

pankajnikale

• Active Members
  • 32 posts
  • in

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hi,
make sure they have received your application first. I made mine in August and got a reply in 2 weeks, it was denied and now waiting for an appeal date that should come in December but the trial could be months down the line.
The fact that they have changed the scheme could be why you haven't got a reply yet but first make sure that the application did reach them.

Good luck. :licking:

#19 pankajnikale

pankajnikale

• Active Members
  • 32 posts
  • in

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

Why suddenly the group sounds to be DEAD? :huh:

Well, I m still waiting for my appeal to get PASS.

Please pray for us

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users