• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 irishbookish

irishbookish

• Active Members
  • 32 posts
  • uk

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

Is there any point in me continuing to pursue an ancestry visa if they're planning on getting rid of them in the near future? I should be sending off the application within the next couple of months, but is it a good idea if they may just get rid of the entire visa?

Get in quick while you can, I say!!
If they do change the legislation regarding UKAV's the rules will be different for those folk already in possession of them and living in the UK.
Personally, I think UKAV's are great. There are so many Brits leaving for Aus etc. it should be a more reciprocal arrangement.

Edited by irishbookish, 01 May 2008 - 09:53 AM.

#12 Heidz

Heidz

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Hi

I have heard this week that the Ancestral Visa is NOT going to be abolished...for NEW ZEALANDERS. Has anybody heard anything regarding the other Commonwealth countries like South Africa, Australia and Cananda?

Thanks
Heidi

#13 BExpat

BExpat

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • au

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi

I have heard this week that the Ancestral Visa is NOT going to be abolished...for NEW ZEALANDERS. Has anybody heard anything regarding the other Commonwealth countries like South Africa, Australia and Cananda?

Thanks
Heidi

Where did hear this from? It would be obsurd to keep it only for NZers.

It seems like the gov't might be keeping the visas (in some form or another) afterall - see the gov't's response to the consultation on Pathway to Citizenship, which was released a few days ago together with the Draft Immigration and Citizenship Bill.

To be honest, I think this ancestry visa thing is shouldn't be kept. It's not a scheme that is fair to all and can be discriminatory in some ways. My understanding is that it only benefits the grandchildren of British citizens born in the UK, while the grandchildren of British citizens (otherwise than by descent) who are not born in the UK do not benefit. Clearly there is discrimination based on place of birth. And if one is a naturalised British citizen, why should their grandchildren not have the same rights? It's the same "ancestral" connection with Britain.

And the situation gets quite obsurd when you compare this with British nationals who are not British Citizens. Despite having direct, personal connections with Britain through birth in a British territory etc, and having lived under the British flag, these people are treated in the same way as foreigners when it comes to going to the UK, i.e. they have to apply for visas etc. Those with a direct connection to Britain are barred from the country, but 2nd generation descendants of British people born miles away from Britain can enter based on their "ancestry"? Sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

And if the Ancestry visas are because of these Commonwealth country's continuing relationship with the UK, you must also realise that only certain citizens of these Commonwealth countries benefit from Ancestry visas. Those whose grandparents are not born in the UK do not benefit, even thought they would be a Commonwealth national nonetheless.

#14 lrt1980

lrt1980

• Active Members
  • 37 posts
  • as

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

Hi

Thanks
Heidi

Where did hear this from? It would be obsurd to keep it only for NZers...

It's been officially announced on the british HC's website here in Australia...

http://ukinaustralia...o...&id=4209456

But as you say, not sure what form it will take in the future. Doubt it will change before the end of the year though.

#15 MikeNZ

MikeNZ

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

I think it is good that the door has been kept open. I won't comment on other restrictions (and their fairness or otherwise) BExpat mentioned, but the Ancestry Visa provides a way for people to keep a family connection to the UK and return here to contribute to this great country as I did. My ancestors lived here for thousands of years, and I think that should count for something. "Discrimination based on place of birth"? Of course there is. I hate to break it to you, but that is what all immigration policy is based on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users