6 replies to this topic

#1 italianAmerican

italianAmerican

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • us

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hi Everyone,
My American spouse and I (EEA citizen) will be relocating to the UK in the next few months.
I read that in the UK it works pretty much like here in the US where you need to have a good credit history when you apply for a credit card or to rent a property.
I also read that unless you pick a sub-lease or a shared accommodation, which is something we want to avoid, real estate agencies run a credit check before renting an apartment to somebody.
We both have excellent credit histories and a very good credit score here in the US but of course nothing in the UK. Is there a way for us to use our American credit scores over there?
We were thinking to request a copy of our credit report and bring it with us to the UK.
Do you think we can use our American credit histories when dealing with realtors in Britain?
Thank you very much indeed for your opinion!

#2 Susi

Susi

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,393 posts
  • uk

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

You may find that if your American credit history isn't accepted in the UK, a letting agency will ask for 6 months rent in advance + the normal 1 or 2 months rental as a deposit (which remains with them until you vacate the property).
You may find that you will have better luck by renting through a private landlord rather than a letting agency (who would also add their fee to the rental), and tend to be slightly more flexible regarding credit ratings.
Get assurance that your deposit will be held in a separate holding account by the landlord or agent, as per the relatively new legislation.

#3 italianAmerican

italianAmerican

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • us

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

You may find that if your American credit history isn't accepted in the UK, a letting agency will ask for 6 months rent in advance + the normal 1 or 2 months rental as a deposit (which remains with them until you vacate the property).
You may find that you will have better luck by renting through a private landlord rather than a letting agency (who would also add their fee to the rental), and tend to be slightly more flexible regarding credit ratings.
Get assurance that your deposit will be held in a separate holding account by the landlord or agent, as per the relatively new legislation.

Thank you for your response, Susi! And what about banks, do you think they'll take American credit scores when applying for a credit card?

#4 nooby

nooby

• Active Members
  • 37 posts
  • uk

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

I moved here 18months ago and managed to get a rental property and was offered a credit card the second day I was here! Here's how it went:

Bank account: Try to open your UK bank account from the US. I managed to open an account from Australia via Thomas Cook travel agency. You need about GBP1000, which you can access once you land in the UK. Once you arrive here, you will need to activate the account in person at the London branch. When I was doing that, they offered me a credit card! It could be because I was here on a work permit and earning over a certain amount, but worth asking HSBC as to how you could automatically qualify.

Rental Property: I found a flat via a realtor. You need evidence of your last address in the form of a bill. I just used my bank statement from Australia, and I asked my landlord in aus to provide a written referral. They will ask to contact your UK employer and one other person for a personal referral. Even private landlords will ask for references, so it's worth having some names ready.

I hope that helps and let me know if you need further info.

Good luck!

#5 CrazyCrazy

CrazyCrazy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • uk

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

Thank you for your response, Susi! And what about banks, do you think they'll take American credit scores when applying for a credit card?

Even if you have a bad credit history it is always possible to open a basic bank account....This site might be of use for looking into a account
http://www.moneysupe...urrentaccounts/
Also renting just means you will have to put down more money upfront, if that is possible for you guys than it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't mean you have to pay more, just have to invest all the way up front. If you want more info on these these sites might be of more use than my jibber jabber :blush:
http://uk.moneto.eu/...ide/renting-uk/
Good luck to you!

Edited by CrazyCrazy, 10 July 2008 - 10:54 AM.

#6 hermelinda

hermelinda

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • england

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi
I have moved 20 months ago form a rented home to my own home. Last day I received a notice from court send by my landlord, In which he told to court I did not pay 20 months rents. Now what i have to do with that notice? any suggestion ?

#7 Susi

Susi

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,393 posts
  • uk

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hi
I have moved 20 months ago form a rented home to my own home. Last day I received a notice from court send by my landlord, In which he told to court I did not pay 20 months rents. Now what i have to do with that notice? any suggestion ?

Please don't continue to post in threads which are now dead. This one is over 4 years old! Start a new thread of your own, although your query isn't immigration related. Contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users