Jump to content


need to get my duplicate of Naturalisation certificate

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lost_cert_naturalisation


    New Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • us

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:14 AM

Hi All,

I received my Certificate of Naturalisation in 1999. Me and my wife who is not British living in USA for the 7 years now. We have 2 kids, since they were born here they have American Pasports.
Now we want to move to UK.We applied for spouse settlement visa for my wife, she is never been to UK but she just received an Job Offer as a teacher. We need to goto UK before the school start in September.
We already submit the online application and paid $1082. I have a copy of my Certificate of Naturalisation but I can not find the original.

I called the Consulate here, they told me it is a required document and they need to see the original. Even though I have my British Passport and Driving licence and National Insurancecard and all that.

I already filled out an application form for Duplicate copy of my certificate and faxed and emailed to Liverpool, I have not received any response yet. When I called them last week after 2 weeks, I was told my application was not received or it was not process yet.

I faxed them again today, and wrote if you want me to fly them from USA to get this document I will. When I said the same thing over the phone I was told that would not make any difference and it takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get this document, even I have the number of the certificate, home office ref no and all that.

I do not want my kids to grow up in USA, I want them to grow up in UK. We do not want to miss this opportunity.

Anyone having a similiar problem? Any advice? What can we do.

What I do not understand is, I have my valid passport so they can verify if I am British Citizen or not. And since we are applying for "spouse settlement visa" why do they need my original certificate of naturalisation. Even they need it for some reason can they verify that info from Liverpool witha fax or phone call, since we just paid a non-refundable fee of $1082 ?

PLEASE HELP???????? :angry:

#2 JAJ


    Prefered Member

  • Global Moderators
  • 2,248 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • ad

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:34 AM


You shouldn't need your naturalisation certificate for a spouse visa.

But you will need it to get consular birth certificates and British passports for your U.S. born children.

Also, if you ever lose your passport, not having a naturalisation certificate will be a serious problem. A naturalisation certificate is a precious document and should be treated with utmost care? What would you do if your passport was lost and then the Home Office say they cannot find your file?

Out of interest, have you and your wife got U.S. green cards? If so, you should think about whether you want to become naturalised U.S. citizens before leaving, as opposed to abandoning your status.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users