93 replies to this topic

#91 folly22

folly22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • england

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

Viv, any development?

hi john.i have been following this topic.. please i am just wandering if u can help me with a tip of what might be the outcome of my sitauation. i am currently applying for discreationary leave to remain in th uk on a basses of marriage,but i have a four month year old daughter,my wife is a british citizen and has applied for tax credit and working tax 2 weeks after the baby was born..... like the issue on this topic i was regected a national insurance number because i havent got any right to work at the moment....my wife has since then call the tax credit office multiple time so know what would be the next step...thay said to her on the phone that the only thing they an do is to wait till my application is been decided or refer me for another NI interview. my wife asked for the option of taking me off the claim and claim single as she is a citizen and entitle to the benefit. but they refused and said because we are married and leaving together,she cant claim single. we have now proceeded and contact our local MP. we meet him and explianed the whole thing to him.and he promised to healp us sort it all out...i am just wondering if u know what might be the out come of this issue now that the MP is involve? hoping to hear from you......thanks

#92 John

John

Tax Consultant

• Admin
  • 6,013 posts
  • uk

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

folly22, based upon what you have posted, as well as contacting your MP ... good move .... I think you are totally justified in making a formal complaint to the Tax Credits office.

The law changed in April last year ..... over 18 months ago .... and we still keep getting evidence of a lack of staff training.

#93 Megan1234

Megan1234

• Active Members
  • 96 posts
  • england

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

"Viv, any development?
John"

Very late response,sorry, I was looking through my old posts from my profile.
Yes, eventually I got a phone call from a lady at the tax office and she said that in no way can I make a joint application when my husband isn't even living at my address, let alone in the country. She sounded a bit baffled that I'd ever been told to make a joint claim. I then had to make a new single claim and it was a nightmare trying to get through to the tax credit "helpline" to get the new claim paperwork sent out. Sometime in late August I got my money credited to my bank account. It's a ridiculous system. Because I'd lost so much of my income I informed the housing benefit office who upped my benefit to the maximum level for that period, and readjusted for the new regular payments, without considering the lump sum that I received in back-dated money. I was worried that this was an error so I highlighted it to them, and they said they don't take one off lump sums into consideration, only the regular payments, so I was a few hundred pounds better off by the time it was sorted. I'd have much preferred to have not had the stress.
Sorry it's such a very late reply.

Viv

#94 bluebird12

bluebird12

• Platinum Members
  • 162 posts
  • england

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hi John,

folly22, based upon what you have posted, as well as contacting your MP ... good move .... I think you are totally justified in making a formal complaint to the Tax Credits office.

The law changed in April last year ..... over 18 months ago .... and we still keep getting evidence of a lack of staff training.

Hi John,

you mentioned in above reply that Law has changed in April last year....over 18 months ago....does it relates to applying for NI NO or child tax credits claims ? can you please explain it thanks. i am also in same situation relevant to this Thread, applying for NI NO when i have pending case of DLR ( do not have right to work permission ), my wife is British, our Tax credit have been stoped and we are in process of applying as joint claim .
1-DO i have to apply and have a NI NO in order to claim child tax credit jointly or the procedure have been changed in april last year as you mentioned in your earlier post..please help me by answering this query ..many thanks for your help in advance indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users