• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 scorrrp

scorrrp

• Active Members
  • 105 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:32 AM

A landmark legal ruling has paved the way for thousands of asylum seekers in the UK to be allowed to work. The High Court has ruled that current laws preventing an Eritrean asylum seeker from taking a job are incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights.

Last night legal experts said the test case would have major ramifications for others seeking asylum.

The Eritrean man, called Tekle, who cannot be returned to his home country because it is considered too dangerous, has been in the UK for seven years while his case is considered. Thousands of asylum seekers from other countries also considered too dangerous to return to - including Iran, Iraq, Somalia and Zimbabwe - are in a similar position.

The ruling has no bearing on the 300,000-plus asylum seekers whose applications are being fast-tracked because they do not come from countries considered no-go areas. But Caroline Slocock, chief executive of the Refugee Legal Centre, said the ruling would affect a significant category who found themselves destitute and in limbo. 'We expect it to be in the thousands,' she said.

Mr Justice Blake ruled that a blanket ban was 'unlawfully over-broad and unjustifiably detrimental to claimants who have had to wait as long as this claimant has'. He said the Home Office's policy breached article 8 of the convention, which guarantees the 'right to respect for private and family life'.

The ruling comes as the former Tory leader, Iain Duncan Smith, prepares to publish a report tomorrow suggesting that failed asylum seekers should be given the right to work here if they cannot return home.

guardian.co.uk

YEAH BACK TO OLD GOOD TIMES :)

#2 solangi786

solangi786

• Active Members
  • 202 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

thats good :rolleyes:

#3 Thandia

Thandia

Prefered Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Well, they have three months to revise their policy. Lets see what they come up with. :biggrin:

#4 iraqimmigrant

iraqimmigrant

Prefered Member

• Active Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

Well Even if they allow asylum seekers to work dont you think guys its too late by now?the Home Office has already damaged thousands of lives and futures for nothing!those people have done nothing other than they have fled true death back in their home countries.

Iraqimmigrant

#5 360modena

360modena

• Active Members
  • 99 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Its great news, although as Iraqi said maybe a bit too late, most of us have spent a decade (more or less) without any rights and permissions and now are part of the legacy backlog. The best is to deal with the long standing applications from such high risk countries as soon as possible in order to avoid a second backlog as a result of work permission requests, nevertheless good news.

#6 elliot

elliot

Prefered Member

• Active Members
  • 805 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

Well, they have three months to revise their policy. Lets see what they come up with. :biggrin:

Hi Thandia,

I'd like to know ur opinion into this,if possible pls.
There are questions unanswered.
Is it for every as.seek.?
Is it for only no go countries?
Is it for legacy cases?
Is it relevant for cases that appeals are exhausted?
Please if u know to shed some light ,because lots of people are in limbo like e.g. sarah29's hubby.

Thanks Thandia in advance

#7 Thandia

Thandia

Prefered Member

• Platinum Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:03 PM

Hi Thandia,

I'd like to know ur opinion into this,if possible pls.
There are questions unanswered.
Is it for every as.seek.?
Is it for only no go countries?
Is it for legacy cases?
Is it relevant for cases that appeals are exhausted?
Please if u know to shed some light ,because lots of people are in limbo like e.g. sarah29's hubby.

Thanks Thandia in advance

IMO & from my understanding, this is for failed asylum seekers, whether or not you're a legacy case because asylum seekers who haven't exhausted their appeal rights already have a policy in place whereby they are allowed to work if their case has not been concluded within 12 months. At the moment I have no idea whether or not it will only apply to no go countries as the HO has been given 3 months to revise the policy. What it does mean though is there is more credence to the request for those from no go countries. However, the judge made no ruling on the matter save to instruct the HO to revise it's policy within 3 months. So, for the time being the situation remains unchanged until the revised policy is presented. HTH.

#8 pathaniprincess07

pathaniprincess07

• Active Members
  • 158 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

i think this is just a plan to use/enslave/exploit assylumseekers so that they can rebuild the country after the whole recession thing. Even though alot of assylumseekers would be more than happy anyway to work but yea that is my thoughts just like all the recent grants under legacy definately has alot to do with this.

#9 baha

baha

• Active Members
  • 262 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

i think this is just a plan to use/enslave/exploit assylumseekers so that they can rebuild the country after the whole recession thing. Even though alot of assylumseekers would be more than happy anyway to work but yea that is my thoughts just like all the recent grants under legacy definately has alot to do with this.

well 1 = 1.14 now most of the people come from eastern europe are leaving cuz they just had enough from the treatment here and its not worth to stay , so they need to look to other alternative and I think the easy solution is us . :P

#10 shamlondon

shamlondon

• Active Members
  • 129 posts
  • uk

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

well 1 = 1.14 now most of the people come from eastern europe are leaving cuz they just had enough from the treatment here and its not worth to stay , so they need to look to other alternative and I think the easy solution is us . :P

IMO its really hard to find any jobs these days, even when u look at papers there is not many jobs advertised as b4, people are loosing jobs left, right and center and they assume its going to take lot of time(years) for the economy to be stable again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users