• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 snootay

snootay

• Active Members
  • 9 posts
  • as

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

When you arrive in the UK as a working holiday maker how are customs? Do they properly interrogate you and ask for all sorts of information (why are you here, how much money do you have, where are you staying, who are your friends here etc)?

I've got a British passport through ancestory, so I'm fine, its my girlfriend I'm asking for. Dunno whether she should admit that she's travelling with a British passport holder or not seeing as customs may see it as "False Intentions". What do you reckon?

She has a return ticket, about 4000 pounds in her account, plus she'll have 200 pounds with her in cash in her hand luggage.

My only real worry is that we are planning travelling straight up north to stay with family of mine. If immigration grill her about who these people are and why she is heading straight out of London (which is probably unusual for an Aussie) they might get arsey. Perhaps she should book accomadation in London for a couple of nights and use that as her intended address? Argh, I'm worrying about this too much. I'm sure a wink and a smile would smooth things out though.

Edited by snootay, 24 February 2009 - 09:07 AM.

#2 Susi

Susi

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,986 posts
  • uk

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

A wink and a smile? Yeah right...first time in the UK?
Tell the truth. Immigration are masters at sussing a fairy tale. :(

#3 snootay

snootay

• Active Members
  • 9 posts
  • as

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

Will be her first time in the UK

As a British passport holder I have never had to tell a fairytale to British Immigration...

#4 Susi

Susi

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,986 posts
  • uk

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

And neither should she. This forum has multiple posts from travellers who thought it would be easier/better to tell Immigration a different story on entering the UK, and are now trying to repair the damage.

#5 snootay

snootay

• Active Members
  • 9 posts
  • as

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

All I'm basically asking is if it is ok for an Australian to travel to the UK with a UK passport holder.

I am not asking for any ideas for fairytail stories, and I certainly wouldn't suggest she make one up, but thank you for the suggestion. Again, all I need to know is the answer to the question above: is it ok Australian to travel to the UK on a Tier 5 Visa with a UK passport holder or not?

#6 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,145 posts
  • br

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

You can travel with anyone you choose to. Why would you think this kind of activity is not permitted? I doubt you are joined at the hip so therefore will be cleared through immigration as individuals and on arrival you will enter the EEA immigration line and your friend can enter the non-EEA line and meet at the other side. Your friend has a valid visa and therefore has nothing to worry about.

#7 snootay

snootay

• Active Members
  • 9 posts
  • as

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Excellent, thats all I need to know.

#8 midtownguy

midtownguy

• Active Members
  • 100 posts
  • in

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

If you are a UK citizen and your girlfriend is Australian - you won't be in the same immigration lines at Heathrow...they will question her but she has a valid UK visa...... Only thing is - many times i've heard people being denied if they say they have a bf or girlfriend in the UK - then immigration suspects they are going to get married... in your case if you are both traveling together on the same date - and if somehow they come to know you are dating each other.. they could deny her entry claiming that she is coming to live with you in UK and get to know you better so u can get married... in that case they want people to apply for a spouse or fiancee visa.

Would be better if you both travel on seperate dates... the immigration guys are very suspicious of all visitors these days.....if they suspect your girlfriend is coming to join you in the UK and eventually marry you (even if that may not be the case) then they can deny entry to her. The minute you say you have a BF in the UK... it raises a lot of questions... be careful about that. As per UK visitor visa laws - I think it even says somewhere that you CANNOT come to the UK with an "intention" of seeking a lover or marriage partner. It all depends on her luck at the airport...

#9 Gentleman of Leisure

Gentleman of Leisure

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 10,145 posts
  • br

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

If you are a UK citizen and your girlfriend is Australian - you won't be in the same immigration lines at Heathrow...they will question her but she has a valid UK visa...... Only thing is - many times i've heard people being denied if they say they have a bf or girlfriend in the UK - then immigration suspects they are going to get married... in your case if you are both traveling together on the same date - and if somehow they come to know you are dating each other.. they could deny her entry claiming that she is coming to live with you in UK and get to know you better so u can get married... in that case they want people to apply for a spouse or fiancee visa.

Would be better if you both travel on seperate dates... the immigration guys are very suspicious of all visitors these days.....if they suspect your girlfriend is coming to join you in the UK and eventually marry you (even if that may not be the case) then they can deny entry to her. The minute you say you have a BF in the UK... it raises a lot of questions... be careful about that. As per UK visitor visa laws - I think it even says somewhere that you CANNOT come to the UK with an "intention" of seeking a lover or marriage partner. It all depends on her luck at the airport...

Nonsense! Having a boyfriend, girlfriend of fiancee living in the UK and visiting that person is no impediment to entry.

#10 Dani_Frances

Dani_Frances

Prefered Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4,033 posts
  • au

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

that is not true! you do not need to travel on different days! I have come into the UK many times before I was married to my husband & stated that I was visiting him & was always stamped into the country (I am Aussie). As long as she has her return ticket (or itinerary details) on her she should be fine...plus she has a valid visa. If they pry or she needs to say is the truth, that she is here on a working holiday. There will also be no problem with her going up north, there is no rule that states that she has to remain in London! There are plenty of working holiday makers who do not live in London :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users